Osteoporosis Exercise Action Plan:
Current guidelines from the National Osteoporosis Foundation and BoneFit
- Strength training, 2-3 times per week
- Balance training, 15-20 minutes a day. Incorporate into daily activities.
- Aerobic exercise, 5 or more days a week in bouts of 10+ minutes for a total of 30 min/day. Weight-bearing (on your feet) is the most beneficial aerobic exercise for bones.
- Spine sparing: keep a neutral spine and limit forward bending. Bending forward or twisting are “most risky when rapid, repetitive, weighted, bending all the way forward, or twisting to the side.”
- Strengthen your back muscles, daily for 5-10 minutes, with back extensions.
If you’re just starting out or getting back into exercise, start with low intensities and always check first with your healthcare provider.
Here are some Osteoporosis Exercise Examples from the NOF.
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!