Susie Hathaway specializes in strength training for women in their middle years and beyond, helping them build healthy lifestyles to help prevent osteoporosis. She offers classes and private personal training, geared toward helping women learn full body strength training in a safe and easy manner.
Learn about strength training for healthy bones!
- current research
- ideas for a healthy lifestyle
Please note: It is very important to consult with your doctor before beginning this or any other exercise program. Please read the Disclaimer.
Subscribe to Susie’s Newsletter for current information on how to strength train, nutrition tips for healthy bones, incorporating cardiovascular exercise into your fitness regimen, and the latest research on staying fit and healthy.
Browse this Website for Susie Hathaway’s Personal Training & Strength Training Classes in Fairfield, Iowa.
- Safe, effective strength training, suited to women of all ages
- Full body strengthening workouts, including abs & back
- Researched-based exercises for strengthening bones
- Exercises to build muscle strength, without adding bulk
- Weights & exercises adapted to each woman’s level of comfort
- Progression at one’s own pace
- The right challenge for safe & effective weight lifting
- Accepting and enjoyable atmosphere
- Up to date research on strength training & osteoporosis
- Adaptations for low bone density and pre-existing conditions
Strength Training Classes
Group strength training can be a fun and economical way to learn this unique type of exercise. Dumbbells are provided and it’s similar to private personal training, but in a group setting. Susie demonstrates the exercises, keeps an eye on everyone and moves around the group, giving advice, encouragement, and education. The workouts are done together, with everyone working at their own individual level with different size weights. This is a very rewarding and enjoyable strengthening program because women usually see increases in their strength within a few weeks. As women get stronger, more fit, and continue twice-weekly strength training, their age-related bone loss can often be slowed.
The classes always begin at an easy level, sometimes even with no weights, allowing time to learn proper weight lifting form. This is important to let one’s body adapt to this new mode of exercise and prevent injury. As the intensity of the program slowly builds with heavier weights, most women are amazed at the amount of strength that they can gain, no matter what their age. Class participants often comment on how enlivened and energized they feel after a strength training session, even if they came in feeling tired. Usually, by six months to a year, women are stronger than they have been in decades. See class schedule and prices.
Private Personal Training
Susie recommends private one-on-one personal strength training if someone:
- Has pre-existing physical conditions
- Can’t make the time work for a class
- Has been inactive to the point where moving along with a class might be a strain
- Would simply like the privacy of personal training
- Doesn’t want to wait until the next beginning class begins
Free Newsletter & Exercise Log
Recent Blog Posts
- Resistance Band Training for Osteoporosis Prevention DVD Released!
- 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Resistance Bands
- 4 Tips for Starting an Osteoporosis Prevention Exercise Program
- World Osteoporosis Day-October 20th
- Recumbent Biking or Walking for Osteopenia? Q & A
- Bone health
- Daily Dose of Movement(c)
- Fitness & Health
- Healthy Weight
- Low Bone Density
- Q & A
- Resistance Bands
- Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention
- Strength Training for Women
- Weight-bearing exercise
- Weighted Vest